Sunday, April 26, 2009

Positive thinking!

Positive thinking is something I've been practicing for quite awhile. Whenever I want something or need a change I only think about a positive outcome. This is not always the best thing to do. My father always tried to get me to see the other side of things, the "reality" of a situation. But as time has passed and I find myself in different life situations, positive thinking is what has always gotten me through bad times and difficulties. Last year I picked up Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and was really able to shift my thinking from past and present to NOW and thinking positive. A great double whammy that allows me to live more peacefully.

Another thing that I've been working on is in realizing my dreams. What I want for myself, my family and my children. Some things are of course not automatic. Making my daughter happy is not 100% up to me, but trying to lay out a path for her to follow is part of my responsability as a parent. Certainly making my five year old son Evan healthy and happy right now is easily within my reach.

I've been competing in marathons since 1990 and in triathlons since 1996. I always said that I would compete in an Ironman before I turned 50. That's next year. I feel mentally ready to take on the challenge, I have a year and three months to get myself physically ready for Ironman Nice 2010.

I thought a long time about this, especially the venue that I've chosen for my first Ironman. I could have chosen Austria or Germany or England...and I think they just opened one in Ireland. But I wanted the sea. I want the salt water and the fish while I swim and the promenade on the beach. I want to rent an apartment and invite friends to share my adventure. I picture them walking or tanning on beach while I ride the bike portion of the race. I know that the other Ironman races have an easier bike portion, but this is the one that gets me dreaming. And isn't that what this is all about?

I'll have to become a biker. I'll have to BUY a new bike and a new wetsuit. I'll have to find the time to train while I handle my job and family. To start this adventure the first thing I did was talk with my husband. He knew that I wanted to do this but I engaged him in helping me train. He is the best coach and I really needed someone to be able to report back to and help me hold my interest. I also wanted him to have an active part in my preparation given that the training will take up so much of my time next year.
So now that we're all set and clear, I can now start my base training!

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Love love love the new blog name :)

And the pic of you in the Epilogue on 5in5... sooo beautiful!